Masonry is one of the oldest construction methods, and for good reason. Masonry materials like brick and stone are highly durable, and buildings constructed with these materials can last for hundreds of years. Masonry is best handled by professional masonry contractors, such as the ones at DelPrete Masonry. We have years of success building new brick and stone masonry projects. Consider the following factors if you wonder whether you should create your new property with brick or stone.
The Pros and Cons of Stone Masonry
The Pros of Building with Stone Masonry:
- Durability: Many of the world’s oldest buildings are constructed from stone masonry!
- Luxury: Stone provides charm, character, and luxury to any property. It works well with other construction materials and creates a look that never goes out of style.
- Naturally Cooling: Stones are best in hot climates, as they are naturally cool. This helps keep your building interiors cooler and more comfortable.
- Use Local Stone: Few projects offer you the chance to use materials from your surrounding area, but local stone can be used in your project. Stone colors and textures differ by region, so you can always enjoy a unique look.
The Cons of Stone Masonry Construction:
- More Laborious Installation: Stone masonry requires lots of patience and skill from a certified masonry builder.
- Hard to Retain Warmth in Winter: A stone building without insulation will be much colder in the winter because stones are naturally cool and are not naturally insulated.
The Pros and Cons of Brick Masonry
The Pros of Brick Masonry Construction:
- Eco-Friendly Materials: Bricks are a more eco-friendly option because they are made from abundant materials like clay and shale.
- Highly Durable: Bricks are used to build many of the world’s oldest buildings, still standing today!
- Low Maintenance: Bricks do not have to be painted and are highly durable against various types of weather.
- Increase Your Property Value: The timeless charm of brick makes brick buildings very appealing to buyers.
The Cons of Brick Buildings:
- Mortar Maintenance: You must take care to make sure all mortar remains intact and free of cracks. Mortar keeps bricks and stones together, so it is essential to maintain.
- Less Design Variation: Stone comes in various sizes, shapes, and tones. Brick, however, is more straightforward in its available shapes and colors.
Whether you decide to use brick or stone masonry for your next project, contact the professionals at DelPrete Masonry for a successful and long-lasting result.
CONTACT DEL PRETE MASONRY TODAY!
Whether you are ready to start your next masonry project or are still hesitant and have questions, Del Prete Masonry is here to help. We have the experience and expertise to get it right the first time. Questions? Want to visit some of our residential or commercial projects? Ready to set up a consultation? Feel free to give us a call at 410-683-0650 or visit us online. We are happy to serve Baltimore City and County, Harford County, Carroll County, Anne Arundel County, and Howard County. To see examples of our work and to keep up with our new and exciting projects, be sure to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.