Masonry work is a beautiful thing. There is a lot of meticulous, detailed work that goes into creating a masonry structure. Stonemasons have been working to perfect the art for centuries and make advances on the foundations of masonry as they go. If you have mason work that is starting to crack or deteriorate (which does happen, no matter how hard we work to make it perfect), you have a couple of different options.
- You could tear down and start over, destroying something that could have a rich history.
- You could leave it be or reseal it and hope that it doesn’t get any worse.
- You could hire a qualified restoration service to come in and restore a piece of work back to its original glory or better.
You should only approach option 1 if there’s absolutely no hope for restoration, if the original structure is poorly built, or if you want something entirely different. Demolition is sometimes the way to go, but if you like the structure, why not put the work in to save it and maybe even create something better out of it? The second option is rarely a good one. If you don’t work to properly take care of masonry (which is actually pretty low maintenance), it will eventually start to crumble and you’ll need to hire someone to tear it down or restore it anyway. Most of the time for both buildings and decorative structures, we recommend that you choose masonry restoration for a few reasons.
- Add aesthetic – We can add a nice aesthetic appeal to older buildings that need to be restored. If they’re still useable but just need a face lift, restoration is a really good, fairly inexpensive option.
- Stability – Restoring masonry returns it to its original stability and strength. Stone and brick masonry stands up well against weather and the elements, especially after you’ve restored it.
- Protect history – Many buildings have a rich history that you risk losing if you choose demolition over restoration when the building can be successfully restored.
At Del Prete Masonry, we offer professional restoration for your building or structure. Delprete Masonry is a commercial masonry construction and restoration company that services Baltimore and the surrounding area. For more than 25 years, we’ve been performing quality masonry work for a wide variety of clients with different masonry needs. We’ve built a solid reputation for ourselves in the Baltimore area as a leading commercial masonry service. For more information, please contact our office today at 410-683-0650 or email us firstname.lastname@example.org. We serve Baltimore City, County, Harford County, Carroll County, Anne Arundel County, and Howard County. Keep up with our blog for masonry related information, and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.